More than one million cars, new or old, are stolen each year nationwide. But there are many ways to cut down on the chance of being a victim:
- Always lock your car and take your keys with you.
- Never leave your car running without you, especially at a convenience store or in winter months when you want to warm it up.
- Don't hide spare car keys in your car.
- Always park in well-lit and busy areas.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially at night. Glance under your car, around it and in the back seat.
- Be careful to stow valuables out of sight. Don't leave GPS devices, laptops or valuable accessories like power cords or earphones in clear view.
- Consider an antitheft device. Auto alarms and bar locks are not foolproof, but typically discourage or delay a thief.
- Consider auto insurance that includes theft.